Be careful what you wish for...
I was at the end of the year Concert/Symphonic Band/Wind Ensemble concert tonight (they did an amazing job, by the way), reminiscing about my years in band and wishing that I had more of an opportunity to play my trumpet.
I come back home and see a message from the Sacred Music Director at my parish asking if I would be willing to play for the Corpus Christi procession on Sunday (yes, we do an actual procession-- it's epic... through downtown and back).
Unfortunately my yamaha is still back East. I have my beginner's one here at home and I picked up tonight just to see how I sound. I haven't played in... gosh, probably about six months. And I haven't played consistently in a year or so.
My tone isn't too bad, and my range isn't terrible. I know my endurance is terrible (I only played for about ten minutes, just to see if I could stand my sound), and that's my biggest worry. But if I remember correctly from years past, it isn't a whole lot of playing. Just at the beginning of each altar. Or the end. I can't quite remember. But usually that's a professional trio... so I'm hoping they're still involved....
Oh, what am I getting myself into?????
Looks like I'll be playing a lot in the next few days to try and build up my endurance. And e-mailing my high school band director to see if he'd be willing to let me borrow his trumpet for the weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment