Wednesday, June 9, 2010

IDK

A few weeks ago I had dinner with two friends that I hadn't seen in quite a while.  We were talking about my discernment and what have you, and I remember making an off-hand comment about how there was tiny part of me that was a bit uneasy about the fact that it's so new.  You know, considering everything that's been going on with the Legionaries and Fr. Maciel.  It seems like new orders are subject to that sort of scandal nowadays.

So, consider my sadness when I heard that the founder of *my* community has been asked to resign from his post as Superior General.  I think my heart dropped straight to my stomach when I saw the news article.  I've read a few different articles on it, including his own letter to the Pope.  From what I can tell, things don't seem to be nearly on the same level as Fr. Maciel.  There doesn't appear to be any sexual scandal at all, Deo Gratias.  But there are other things: manipulation, brain-washing, etc.  And those are things I've heard in the rumour-well before.

I don't really know what to think.  I wish there was more information about this whole thing.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't stand as a concern to me.  I just don't know what to think.  On one hand, this could be something of an imperfection in the Order as a whole, and something that with prayer and penance can be overcome, thus enabling the Order to return to a healthy state.  It almost seems that, in its attempt to be a conservative Order (an admirable goal, btw, especially in response to the major decline of the past century), it has slightly over-stepped the boundaries.  Virtue is in the middle, and I think possibly the attempt to get away from the left pushed too far into the right.

But I really don't know, because I don't know any specifics.

And I don't know if this is something I should really heavily consider with my own vocation.  It causes me some concern, yet I can't help but feel called to this Order.  I mean, God calls people to imperfect institutions, right?  I see it all the time with Dioceses.  One of my good friends is a seminarian for a diocese that isn't so hot right now.  But he perseveres.

Yet at the same time...

Oh, I just don't know.  I wish I could talk with my s/d and see what he has to say about this.

2 comments:

  1. When I first saw that post, my jaw literally DROPPED. (And continued to stay in that position while reading various news articles.) I think I still don't even know how to express myself regarding this... just shocked.

    If anything, I just continue to pray for them. Oh, and this summer the Sisters are having a General Chapter (which includes several elections of new major superiors, namely General Superior, some Provincials, and some formation house superiors) beginning June 29th. Please pray for them -- though I'm sure you already are. ;)

    As for discernment regarding this recent turn of events... I don't really know what to say. My second reaction (beyond the jaw dropping) was thoughts of how you would take all this in. I will pray really hard that you'll be able to speak with your s/d about this asap.

    And, I do think God calls people to imperfect institutions. Perhaps to help purify them and make the institutions more perfect in a sense. Although, I heard in a talk last Saturday from the visiting priest that God *never* calls people to imperfect, "corrupt" institutes... I didn't really know what to make of that.

    I mean, "What about St. Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross??"

    Anyhoo... I apologize for the ramble. I send you my condolences and prayers. Lots of prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my Spanish was a bit better, so I could understand better the articles written by newspapers in Argentina. Google translation is helping me get the gist of what's being said.

    Here are two interesting articles-- one very negative and one very supportive of Fr. Buela and the whole situation:

    http://www.mdzol.com/mdz/nota/212287-San-Rafael-el-Verbo-Encarnado,-bajo-la-lupa-del-Vaticano-a-ra%C3%ADz-de-un-esc%C3%A1ndalo/

    and

    http://himmeltur.blogspot.com/2010/05/sanciones-contra-el-instituto-del-verbo.html

    From what I can gather, it really doesn't look like there's anything sexual in these accusations, which I gather as a very good thing. And honestly, it seems like this "scandal" is very much a political issue between the IVE and the bishops of Argentina. It appears to be a culmination of many years of discontent between the two.

    Given that, without more information about the interactions between the two, I have no idea who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Both of the sources above seem to indicate that the bishops involved are quite liberal and do not care for the conservative nature of the Religious Family.

    On the other hand, these are serious accusations that appear to stretch beyond simply Fr. Buela personally, but to the practices of the Order as a whole.

    One thing that definitely makes me raise my eyebrows in suspicion of those making accusations is the "manipulative nature of recruitment." Similar claims were made against the Legionaries... but I think this issue comes down to how one views the nature of vocation. The Church as a whole has gotten away from the traditional Thomistic understanding of the religious life: (1) as an objectively higher calling and (2) if you have any inclination toward that life, you should pursue it. I can see how those who disagree with those principles could consider them as "manipulative."

    But frankly, in my discernment with the Order, not once have I felt 'manipulated' or pressured in any way. Everything has been by my own initiative.

    As for the other accusations... I don't know. Nobody is being very clear about what they exactly are, except that they are "serious." Well, if they're serious, than I want to know about them and I want to know if it's more about Fr. Buela's personal relationship with the Bishops or if it's about his person as a whole or if it's about the entire religious family.

    One of the articles mentioned something about the Order possibly being dissolved completely?

    I don't know. The more I read, the more it seems like politics with the Argentinian bishops who don't like Fr. Buela (either rightly or wrongly, I don't know).

    At this point, I don't think it's going to effect my discernment. Not until I see something more substantial than politics.

    It's clear the devil is at work here: either by defacing a good priest in order to stop good works or by enticing a good priest into sin in order to stop good works. Either way, the fruit of this Order has been so much good, and "by their fruits you shall know them."

    So those are my thoughts for the time being. Still waiting to see if more information comes out. And I might ask M. about it next time we chat.

    ReplyDelete