Sunday, January 24, 2010

Something can't be right because there ain't nothing wrong

Sometimes I look at my life and think to myself, "Heh.  Now that's nothing near what I could have ever imagined for my life three years ago."  And it's not.  I'm pretty sure that my life is very abnormal.

I also, rather often, look at my life and think to myself, "Oh God.  You are way too good to me."  And He is.  I'm pretty sure that God has beaten me repeatedly over the head with His Grace Bucket.  (You know, sometimes those extra moments of grace stick to the bottom of the bucket and need to be forced out.)

You know, one of my favorite prayers was taught to me by a priest friend of mine when he was a deacon.  It's very simple and I find that it can be used in all circumstances.  It goes like this, "Thank you, Jesus, for loving me this way."  When something frustrating happens...  when something amazing happens... when something terrible happens...  when something very normal happens...  It's a small little prayer that I find myself repeating very often.

Sometimes I wonder, rather irrationally, whether or not God's will can really coincide with something that I desperately desire.  And I mean this more than just the abstract, "I want to get to Heaven" sort of thing.  Obviously I'm thinking specifically of my vocation.  Sometimes it seems much easier to know God's will when you're struggling to accept it.  Like, you know deep down what it is, but you keep fighting it.  But it almost seems that the moment you embrace it fully, are full of joy, and become excited about it...  you begin to wonder... Wait, is this really what God wants of me afterall? Surely this can't be right...  Or at least I've been tempted to think in such a way.

Granted, I've also recognized this as mostly irrational.  God wants us to be happy.  That's the whole point of a vocation.  It's the state of life (and place or person) where we will be most happy and where we will grow most in holiness.  Surely God wants us to rejoice when He reveals this to us.

Then again, there's always something to be said that one ought to rejoice in the gift, most certainly, but never more so than rejoicing in the Giver of the gift.

Thanks be to God that He has somewhat protected me from this ever-so subtle temptation.  I mean, it's wonderful to rejoice in the gift!  It's a good in itself.  But even more importantly...  rejoice in it because it's from Him and because it bring Him joy to see you rejoice in the gift He has given.

And there's always that very subtle temptation to think, as well...  I think there's a line from a country song that captures it fairly well...  Something can't be right because there ain't nothing wrong.

But, like I said.  Believe it or not, things can go well and things can go smoothly.  It's okay to be happy.  Funny how society does a pretty poor job of teaching us how to be happy, eh?  It's so easy, so comfortable, so normal to be sad, discontent, depressed...  It's pretty difficult to let oneself be loved and full of joy.

Well, bed is now looking like a very inviting option (it's past 2:30am).  Tomorrow will be spent working on my honors thesis (ugh) and meeting up with the Sisters of Life.

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean when you said:

    "But it almost seems that the moment you embrace it fully, are full of joy, and become excited about it... you begin to wonder... Wait, is this really what God wants of me afterall? Surely this can't be right.."

    When things seem to fit so perfectly... like God made that Order just for you... Sr. Theotokos said something similar to that when she met the SSVM. :) I'm pretty sure I felt that way, too. But I think... I think perhaps God does this for us to encourage us, you know? Kind of like when a soul returns to the state of grace after being out of it for so long -- He bombards the soul with consolations to give that soul encouragement on our journey of salvation, especially if it was it was met with great difficulty.

    Therefore, I do think it's quite natural to find oneself full of joy, especially a very sensual/passionate human joy. After all, like you said, following God's Will will make us the happiest. :) And in each of us, I believe God does put that desperate desire to fulfill His will -- though some may not even realize it until they are in a state of grace and find it. Doing so is surely a great cause of joy, right? ;)

    From my own personal experience, I can say that I, too, have found myself with that same irrational temptation creeping in at times. It's easy to find oneself thinking, "Wow... things are just a little TOO perfect... am I missing something serious? Some kind of obvious sign that things aren't right?..." Then I just have to remember it all boils down to trusting in God. One of the IVE priests would always tell me, "When you find yourself facing that temptation, always pray, 'Jesus, I trust in You.' and just do it, just trust -- that is how you grow in trust of God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Something can't be right because there ain't nothing wrong."

    I just heard that song on the radio yesterday while in the car -- I thought of you. :)

    My mom and I don't usually listen to country music (though I like it fairly well), but for the past two days she's had the car radio set to a country station. :) Good song!

    ReplyDelete