Thursday, May 6, 2010

Immediate Future

I can barely contain myself.  As graduation draws nearer and nearer, my desire to simply enter grows stronger and stronger.  People keep asking me what I'm doing or, if they're bold, tell me they've heard rumours...  and the conversations I keep having are only increasing my desire to enter.  I suppose that's the beauty of being at a place where people are so supportive of vocations.


Last night we met Cardinal McCarrick, who spoke to our Militia Immaculatae group for a few minutes.  What a wonderfully holy man!!  He was so beautiful.  A man who really loves Jesus and wants to lead others to love Jesus too.


My spiritual director is up at SHU, interviewing as the lone finalist for their presidential search.  I'm not sure whether he'll get the job... at the moment he's the only finalist since the other candidate dropped out.  And I'm not sure whether I want him to get the job...  He'd make a great president and guaranteed he'd pull SHU out of the dumps (in regards to Catholic identity, that is).  He's an amazing administrator.  But he's also an amazing teacher and scholar. If he doesn't get it, I expect his name to be the next big Catholic philosopher/theologian.  If he does get it... well, it'll be good stuff too.  Really good stuff for Catholic universities.


I'm a little nervous that I won't be able to meet with him again before I leave, which would be devastating to me.  He just doesn't know his schedule anymore because of the SHU stuff.  But he said we'd definitely do our best-- even if meant calling him and we walk around campus at 9pm.  I guess we'll see.  It'll likely be my last meeting with him ever.


That seems strange to me.  I've been seeing him for spiritual direction for three years now.  More than anyone, this man knows my heart and soul.  It'll be strange not meeting with him.  Even more strange will be having a new director.  I have to admit that the thought scares me a little.  I don't know what it would be like with someone new. Eh.  I wish I could keep him.  But it's just not even physically possible...  if he goes to SHU, he'll be extremely far away and extremely busy with presidential type stuff.  If he stays at the Mount...  well, I won't be here anyways.


On a completely different note, it's been absolutely beautiful the past few days!  Walking around campus takes my breath away.  And then I'm always struck that I'll be leaving this place for good in less than a week and a half. 


I can hardly believe that it's almost graduation.  I can hardly believe that I'm leaving the Mount-- this place that has been my home for the past three years.  I've grown so much here.


But I think I'm ready.  As much as I'll miss the Mount and as much as it will always hold a special place in my heart...  I think it's time.  Yup.  It's time.  And I'm ready.  I think.


Three more papers.  Four exams.






2 comments:

  1. I've always found the whole transition before entering to be somewhat... bittersweet, you know? I felt very much the way you've just described, but still that having sense of peace and of being ready. :)

    (Well, I've only done this ONCE, but nearing that real possibility again... I'm feelin' it. Hehe.)

    Continued prayers for your exams, your fundraising, your family, and especially for you! :)

    P.S. -- Forgive my ignorance, but what school is SHU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your prayers!! It *is* a strange time in one's life, isn't it? But God is so good! :-)

    SHU = Seton Hall in NJ.

    ReplyDelete